Daily Reflections From My Window

March 5, 2021 Friday


“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”

Irene M. Pepperberg

I couldn’t decide on a picture this AM. This view changes by the second, so I added both, with the same verse. The verse was easy considering that had quite a day yesterday involving our sweet alpaca Genesis. I originally named her after the first book of the Bible, but Jay shared yesterday that he thought I had named her after a little girl we had met on our mission trip to Guatemala. About a year old, she and her 2 siblings were left to fend for themselves on the streets as their mother worked as a prostitute. I can’t even imagine. Her sister who was 7, and no bigger than a minute cared for both her and her 4 year old brother, carrying Genesis around and finding food wherever she could for them all. Somehow they ended up at the Agua Viva Children’s home right before we did and we were blessed to meet them. She LOVED Jack and he spent a lot of time carrying her around and playing with her. Such sweet children. I went back and looked at the dates of our trip and it looks like Genesis the alpaca (often called Gennie) was on this Earth before Genesis (pronounced Hen-iss-Eess) the baby. Godwink? Of course!

Here are pictures of little Genesis’ older sister (I’ve never seen a little girl eat so much!), her brother and their assigned “Mother” and Jack with her at a meal.

Back to yesterday. I think I told you that Genesis the alpaca had a gooey eye who then went down, so I called our vet and since he was taking a much deserved vacation with his family, we had his fill in vet come and take a look at her. Steve wasn’t optimistic about the way she presented-flat out, neck arched back, but was optimistic that the color of her upper lip was good and her temp was normal. The signs I saw-she separated from the herd and they seemed unconcerned with her existence, almost like they’d already said their goodbyes, led me to believe that she was on her way out. They know. We treated her with some meds, piled hay around her and put a coat on her to keep her warm and checked on her periodically over the evening and by morning she was gone. Here’s what Dr. Steve saw when he arrived.

In this picture she’s prepped for the night and I moved her to try to make her more comfortable. Her head is resting on some hay so that she could breathe. It was her time.

Luckily we know Mike the taxidermist and he picks up. (I meant to take a picture!) Jay used his front end loader to lift her into Mike’s truck and off he went. He’ll “cape” her pelt and it will be perfect for making into something new. I asked him to save her skull for me this time. They have an interesting structure and it will be a great demonstration piece. He told me that there are special beetles that eat all of the flesh and organic matter off of the skull in no time flat and that’s how it is prepared before bleaching. I’m thinking like a farmer now. Doesn’t even gross me out. The circle of life. God has things so well planned.

This is the last pelt that Mike prepped for us wrapped in a nice bundle. I’m still uncertain what to do with it. I’ve had it for a few years. It’s from George. Maybe slippers.

We had a lot going for us yesterday: temperature was perfect-low 20’s (great for preserving a deceased animal to give us time to do what we needed to do) and we had kept the driveway pretty clear so the taxidermist and Jay could get their vehicles up there. We still have snow though and it’s flurrying now. She had to lay there for a few hours while I went to a scheduled blood draw and hair appointment and before Mike could get here anyways. He was busy working on a deer and needed to finish up. Perfect timing. In the meantime, we were watching Connor the grand dog. He’s a wonderful dog but because he is a puppy, is very busy! He’s totally house broken though and that’s worth a lot! I think if we get a dog in the future, it will be an old, lazy dog.

I was pretty tired from all of the excitement yesterday but we were having our friend Penn over for dinner and still had hooping to squeeze in. I made dinner and left it in the oven so that they could eat while I was hooping and ate when I got home. I love to be busy!

Today I go get adjusted by my chiropractor Dr. Dave and then off to check out a sewing machine at Kenny’s. Time to update. We’re down to ten alpacas now and that won’t take long.

It’s supposed to be sunny and cool today. A perfect day to be an alpaca or a squirrel!

Warm weather is on the way and will hopefully melt the rest of this snow. I guess March is coming in like a Lion after all.

In the meantime, remember to wash your hands, don’t touch your face, stay home but if you MUST go out, wear a mask and keep the length of a full grown llama (which is bigger than an alpaca) between you and the next person.

Have a blessed day!

Update: new picture! Snow!